Saturday, July 28, 2007

9:30 a.m.

Meet my cohosts!

Since everyone in my house is out of town this weekend, it's up to me to keep myself company. I can't leave my house for more than 15 minutes at a time, so people basically have to come to me. Luckily, that's where pets come in.

These two boys are named Tweaker and The Brick. They're my pet rats that I got through a rescue program at my university. For the first year of their lives they were used in a behavioral psychology class. It took awhile, but they're pretty normal and well-rounded boys now. Before I got them, they had never been outside of a cage!

I rat-proofed my room a couple of months ago, so I can shut the door and let them roam around in here with me. They're litter trained, so I don't have to worry about them leaving me little presents outside of their cage.

The Brick is the one on the left. If you can't guess by his name, he's not that bright. Because of this, he's my favorite of the two. You sit there, and you watch him, and it is so clear that he has absolutely no grasp of what's going on a good 75% of the time. His brother is far more intelligent, and thus far more devious. He's also a bit spastic, which is how he got his name. He has a tendency to beat up on his brother more than he should, but that has gotten better now that I've gotten them a brand-new cage. Like all brothers, they fight less now that they don't have to share a room!

3 comments:

Crystal said...

SO cute! I would love to have pet rats, but I somehow think my cats would have a different plan for them than I would!

Glo Paint said...

It depends on the cat, really. I've seen cats who would snuggle rats, but all of my cats were born-and-bred mousers, so...

They're good college pets, tho, since dogs and cats are not allowed.

Maddo said...

Stupidity and obesity are endearing in animals. Not so much in people. Also, the new cage looks awesome.