Sunday, July 29, 2007

1:00 a.m.

One thing I used books for very frequently when I was little was a source of comfort. If I had a bad day at school, I would come home and dive into pay book for a while. If I was having family issues, I would do the same. For me, books were always a cure-all. Even last night, when I was trying to unwind so I could get a good sleep in before the Blogathon, I picked up a book to unwind and make myself feel better.

My all time "feel better book" is a Ring of Endless Light, which I already discussed in a post below. Another that is less known, but definitely worth the read, is titled Kitchen. It's written by a Japanese author, but between her prose and the translator's prowess the English version is a real treat. It's short enough to read in one sitting, but that does not mean it's light reading. Like A Ring of Engless Light, one of its main themes is coming to terms with death. I think one of the reasons why I like both of these books so much that they conclude in the end that death is not depressing. It is tragic, but we can move on.


My third feel-better book is Weetzie Bat. This is a short, whimsical, modern fairy tale set in California, with unnatural characters and a surreal plot. But doesn't mean that they live inhuman lives -- over the course of the novel the characters come to terms with issues surrounding homosexuality, polyamorism, and (of course) death.

It looks like I learned a little bit about myself tonight. I have never actually sat down and thought out what my comfort books were and why, but it doesn't really surprise me that the books I turned to have positive messages dealing with death. I lost my mother when I was 12, 2 years after losing my grandmother, so death and coping has been a part of my life for some time.

I am curious what books all of you out there turn to for comfort. I don't necessarily need the why, since that can be deeply personal, but titles would be amazing.

Five hours to go! Let's get commenting and keep each other going.

5 comments:

Gledster said...

I regularly turn to Bill Bryson's Notes from a Big Country as it's such a fun, easy read. :)

Glo Paint said...

I'll have to check that one out. Thank you!

Gledster said...

You're welcome, and remember to tune in in a little while to see if your guess was correct. ;)

Unknown said...

James Kirkwood books--sadly, I think they are all out of print. "There Must Be a Pony!,"Good Times Bad Times," "P.S. Your Cat Is Dead." Kirkwood was an amazing writer, and his books feel like... "home" to me.

Maddo said...

Usually young adult books because they're not overly deep or disturbing and they usually have memories attached to them. But Jane Austen works, too.